Bob Pearlman - Teaching, Learning and Assessing 21st Century Skills
conference slides: http://www.bobpearlman.org/BLC2009.htm
New Technology Foundation "New Tech's mission is to re-invent teaching and learning for the 21 st Century by offering a proven model and a fully integrated suite of tools designed to facilitate the creation and management of a relevant and engaging 21st Century education."
Partnership for 21st Century Skills - updated competencies 2002-2003
- Learning & Innovation (many sub-categories)
- Life & Career (many sub-categories)
- Information & Technology (many sub-categories)
Project-Based Learning (PBL), teams, inter-disciplinary all provide opportunities for these skills and outcomes.
Examples from 10th gr English/Social Studies classroom: Video - Teaching the Adolescent Brain
Many examples given: company commissioned by NASA to develop games to play on the moon. The project drives the curriculum and a need to know with external audience.
PBL Plan Assessment
- final product (not good)
- sub-assignments (scaffolding): many types and all provide opportunities for assessment
- process documents (keep everyone on track and accountable): contract who does what, when, "followship", online learning platform for collaboration
- develop assessment rubrics so kids know how they will be graded, how they can do better. Builds habit of self-direction and motivation.
- content proficient
- able to write proficiently
- orally proficient
- critical thinking
- tech proficient
- abe to collaborate
- prepared fr career
- solid ethical citizenship
- analyze and deal with data
- processing a solid work ethic
- tech literacy
- critical thinking
- oral skills
- career prepared
- ? missed it ?
Every project has an online platform w/ calendar, docs, rubrics - the whole thing.
How do you judge collaboration? Peer assessment using online rubric.
Oral communication - students need many, many opportunities. Bring in outside groups for authentic audience experience and assessment feedback.
Collective outcomes - common outcomes/grading across courses.
Digital portfolios required to show mastery of learning outcomes.
YouTube Video: What is New Manor Tech