Sunday, January 3, 2010

The problem with paper


It really came home to me for the first time that the paper format was holding me back. I just finished reading Born Digital: Understanding the first generation of digital natives, by John Palfrey and Urs Gasser.

The problem isn't the book, which I really liked (my GoodReads review). The problem is the post-it notes. This book had so much original research and concepts so eloquently developed that I ended up with over 40 post-it notes that I now need to go back and review.

If this were a digital text I could have been using Diigo to highlight and annotate the whole time. From Diigo I could share with a group, like HS Librarians, and see what others had to say, discussing ideas and their application to school libraries with my professional peers. I could export my notes to NoodleTools for organizing for future reference if I want to write a grant or article. As it stands now, I will end up re-typing passages into NoodleTools. What a waste of time. (It also needs to be pointed out that if I had a reading disability I would be unable to access this text because paper has no text-to-speech option, and it isn't available in audio format.)

Research, investigation and inquiry tend to be solitary endeavors. This no longer needs to be the case and,  by utilizing the symphony of free digital tools, we can offer a much richer experience, enhanced by collaborative networks and accessible to all learners, including those with disabilities.

After reading this book I have a much better understanding of our digital natives. They are very polite and patient with us, but for how much longer? Pretty soon they are going to start getting annoyed.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Pam Harland said...

Great points! I still want to read my fiction in hardcover print format but my nonfiction in digital format.
Thanks for the great presentation at the NESLA Leadership Conference!

January 18, 2010 at 4:01 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Thanks for your kind post, Pam. Although I have to say - Kindle for fiction, digital for nonfiction. That is what works for me!
Chelmsford was pretty amazing. Still going over my notes.

January 19, 2010 at 7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home